Saturday, February 15, 2014

TED talks



In case you're interested, I hate to exercise.  I mean I really hate it.  I do it anyway, in what's hopefully not a misguided belief that this is good for me, but I will be very unhappy if they ever decide that exercise is bad for you, having already devoted so much of my time to something I dislike.  In any event, I've asked friends for suggestions for TED talks that I can listen to while I exercise, something to help the time pass as painlessly as possible.  I was told to watch Einstein the Parrot, and if you haven't, Einstein was very entertaining, and I'm told I was cackling on the elliptical today.  Here is a link for that short and amusing TED talk:


The other TED talk I listened to today was given back in 2001 by surgeon/writer  Dr. Sherwin Nuland when he talked about his own experiences with Major Depression, psychiatric hospitalization, and electroshock therapy.  I've embedded the talk above, and I hope you find it as moving as I did. 

Finally, if you've never heard Elyn Saks talk about her struggles with schizophrenia, I highly recommend Elyn Saks : A tale of mental illness from the inside

And by all means, I'd love to hear which talks you enjoyed.  There are many more hours of exercise to come.