Sunday, January 12, 2014

Please Don't Batter the Shrink


When I was a child, I lived across the street from a neurologist.  The neurologist shared his office with a psychiatrist, and I was told that one day, a patient walked into the office and shot the psychiatrist.  Last week, in Italy, a psychiatrist was stabbed to death by a patient.  We don't think about how dangerous it may be, but being a shrink has some risks.  Actually, being a person has some risks, and in Baltimore, fourteen people have already been murdered this year, more than one per day.

With that as a prelude, I was on vacation briefly in December; a quick trip to visit family.  In the hotel, I reached for my phone and looked at my Twitter feed.  After all, it's one of the ways I get the news.  Only I'm thinking of "news" in terms of local and federal levels, not personal information about my friends.  I read a tweet from Clink, and realized, oh my, she's been assaulted by a patient.  This she puts out on Twitter.   It was late, I texted, and in the morning I called.  "Are you okay?"  She was okay, and she still is okay, a little shaken.  I'm glad Clink is okay and if you'd like to read her perspective  on it, she wrote about on Patient Assault -- an insider's view over on Clinical Psychiatry News.