Monday, April 19, 2010

She likes it! She likes it!



Do you remember the cereal commercial where everyone shoves a bowl of cereal at the dumb little brother to watch for his reaction? Mikey won't like it, he hates everything! But surprise, Mikey does like it!

We sent the final chapters of the draft of our book to our editor. So far, the process entails a bounce back, and sullen words like "this isn't working"...and then a lot of obsessing, a re-write, and finally we get to, "this is much better." It's become a bit of a joke--we build in time for her to hate it.

This Sunday, I stayed in my pajamas. I sat in front of a computer all day long. I didn't go out. I was ironing out the kinks in the last two chapters. Roy...well, I knew he was trying to write because he was commenting on old blog posts and he opened a new Facebook account. Why? I was ready to scream. I told Editor and ClinkShrink which day to reserve for Roy's funeral and to get their suits out. Roy didn't get it, he informed me he would be out of town that day and could go to a funeral on Sunday. Maybe he did get it.

Put the suits away. 12:30 AM and Roy's chapter was sent to our editor. Mine were sent a few hours earlier. Much quicker turnaround than usual: She likes them! I feel like those little kids when Mikey likes the healthy cereal.

I'm taking a moment now to just be happy.