Sunday, December 20, 2009

Facebook Undone


Today I was friended by psychiatrist friend I haven't seen in a while. She's in her 80's and has always been pretty technologically savvy. I told one of my teenagers, who has met this friend in real life, and she (the teenager) told me she didn't want to hear it! Huh, you aren't interested in my Facebook life?

"People don't talk about what happens on Facebook."

Huh? Neat stuff happens on Facebook, why can't I talk about it?

Well, I got an earful. You talk about what happens on FB, because then it's like you don't have a real life, and people will think you're pathetic, and this will push away the real people in your life who now think you're rather dismal and all you have to talk about is your virtual life because you have no real life to talk about, and then you'll have less people in your real life and you'll need Facebook even more, and it's a vicious cycle.

Mostly likely, I'm doomed.