Thursday, October 08, 2009

That Didn't Work!


I'm writing about when things go wrong in psychiatric treatment. I have to say, we've gotten a lot of ideas for our book from our blog readers! We've heard a lot of stories about both loved and hated shrinks, and you've made us think about psychiatry in a new way.

I still think that lots of what we do is good. Over time, I've come to have a huge appreciation for the individual differences people have, and for how dismissive it may feel if those differences aren't appreciated. I've also come to appreciate that everyone is not helped by our worked, that sometimes the support and the relationship really help when the symptoms are unrelieved, and that when someone says "enough"...it's usually best to respect that.

I almost feel like I'm signing off here. But I'm not. Tell me your stories....