Monday, October 26, 2009

I'm Listening

This post is for any of our blog readers who have ever been involuntarily admitted to a hospital or treated with medication against their will. I'm trying to put together some ideas for things my patients can do to help live with their symptoms (and help them avoid imposing their symptoms on others) without the use of medication.

So my questions are:
1. Which symptoms bothered you the most and what did you do to deal with them?
2. How could you tell when your symptoms were causing problems with others?
3. If someone told you that you were doing something unusual or bothersome, would you have listened when you were sick?
4. What was the most helpful thing someone said or did to help you get by when you were ill?
5. When you were on the inpatient unit, did you notice other people's symptoms? How did you deal with them?

The things you tell me may help my patients, so please speak up.