Saturday, March 14, 2009

Gone the Way of Twitter


He used to write blog posts. Now he Twitters. Same stuff, but Roy likes new toys. His Twitter feed runs along our sidebar, so go for it.

I thought I'd point out that Roy twitted (is that the word? It's soooo unmasculine) about a post on PsychCentral that was later picked up by the NYTimes Well blog:

The Twelve Most Annoying Habits of Psychiatrists

I have to say, I don't agree with number #10, simply because dress and jewelry are such subjective issues and one person's view of gaudy is another expression of individuality and I don't believe that on most things there would consensus among all the patients in a given therapist's practice as to whether their dress was appropriate or not. Therapists should be dressed professionally and comfortably (they should be concentrating on their patients, not their wedgy underwear) but the issue of 'inappropriate displays of wealth' is not a clear barrier. One could say, "I don't like that my shrink's diamond engagement ring is bigger than mine, so they shouldn't wear it." The shrink below wears so much jewelry as to clank? Most shrinks sit quietly during therapy, so clanking shouldn't be a big issue. I would probably agree if the issue were something like "My psychiatrist comes to treatment in just his Speedo." Here's #10 in the original.

10. Inappropriate displays of wealth or dress.

Psychotherapists are first and foremost professionals, and any displays of wealth and style should be discarded in exchange for dressing in an appropriate and modest style. A therapist slathered in expensive jewelry is a put-off to most clients, as are blouses or dresses that show too much skin or cleavage. Too casual of dress can also be a problem. Jeans may suggest too casual an approach to a professional service that the client is paying for.

And it seems I forgot PsychCentral from list of Shrinky Links. Please forgive me.