Sunday, November 09, 2008

Roy Conquers The World!








Roy taught me how to play Risk today. As you can tell from the title of the post, he won. By a lot. No mercy at all. His little gold men ruled and they ganged up on my little red guys and he plucked them off, one by one, methodically and brutally. I thought I owned America, but it didn't matter. He took my home base of Indonesia, held his own Madagascar ever so dear, and trounced the rest of us with competitive zeal.

So you know a little about us from reading Shrink Rap and playing Risk proved to be as a good a way as any to study personality. Roy has wondered if he has ADD. He doesn't. I'm a bit obsessive: I spent the game lining up the little soldiers who weren't in play. First they were arranged in rows, then in a straight line, finally, with a bit of agitation, they stood in a disheartened clump. Roy was cautious and concerned with a big picture, but his little soldier guys were lying around everywhere. I let his ones in waiting just lie there-- the ones in play I had to stand up and arrange within the borders of their territories. Roy was meticulous with his planning and strategy. I just wanted to attack any where I could. My real life demands some attention to detail, I wasn't investing any of it in a board game. Here was my chance to let loose. Our third player, like Roy, took the game pretty seriously and really wanted to understand it (I just wanted to play, who cares about the rules?) and spent a fair amount of time contemplating the next move. "Processing information" was what I was told when I asked how spending all this time helped anything. And then I wondered why I got laid out in the dust with those little soldiers. And to think, I thought I could expand into Canada.