Wednesday, February 13, 2008

In Treatment: Episode 12....the sub-blog


[Posted by Clink (thank you!) Commentary by dinah]

I think I may have reached a new low in blogging. I am posting a blank post.

Dinah called me when I was on my way home from work to ask me to put up a blank "In Treatment" post so that people would have some place to comment on the show until she could get to the blog.

_____________

Okay, so this episode, Alex returns to see Paul with a top-of-the-line Italian espresso maker gift gotten off EBay, well, I found myself dozing.

Alex brings the gift, a dig at Paul's awful coffee from the week before, he walks in, moves a model ship, a family photo, sets it up, starts brewing. Paul clearly feels invaded and uncomfortable, they agree it will stay for the duration of Alex's treatment.

Alex talks about his family: his friendless geek son whom he finally realized is happy with himself, his successful wife, his virtuoso mother, his philandering father. Oh, and he left his wife Michaela. Paul draws parallels between Alex and his father, we see the anxiety this brings out in Paul who is dealing with his own lovelorn marriage.

Guess what? Alex met Laura outside and they went out. Alex figures shrinks don't like that, that there are ethical issues for the shrink (huh?).

So I don't know what this episode was really about, it was pretty boring. Power, I guess, the two men struggle with every aspect of their relationship-- will Paul accept the espresso maker, will Alex date his patient, will Alex accept Paul's interpretations of his family dynamics?

Lacking is substance, is that what ClinkShrink said?? Actually I think the show is a pretty good springboard for discussion. I do hear that some folks are tired of it....we'll try to mix it up. Roy? Roy? What's going on down there.....