Wednesday, November 01, 2006

A Giraffe For Dinah

Giraffe

Everyone needs a camel, but only Dinah needs a giraffe.

She inspired me tonight. I knew I had one, somewhere, buried deep in the thirty plus years of memorabilia scattered everywhere in my house. I tore my second floor apart tonight looking for this. I searched everywhere---closets, drawers, my filing cabinet. At last, there it was along with a number of other things I doodled in my high school, undergrad and medical school days. Somewhere there are also caricatures of our department chair and residency director, but they may be trapped on the hard drive of my 21 year old Mac Plus.

Over the next few weeks I'm going to put them up on the blog with my posts. On the average they are 25 years old. Most of them are done in pencil on legal paper, overdrawn with black felt tip pen. And I can honestly say I didn't see anything like this last week at the Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art.